It seems runDisney enthusiasts are always anticipating and speculating about the next new must-do Disney endurance event. 2012 brought the Inaugural Tinker Bell Half Marathon, and the fast approaching Twilight Tower of Terror-themed race revival: The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend. While the adrenaline is pumping for those “firsts”, now is the time to celebrate the past with the upcoming 20th Anniversary of the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend. It is hard to envision, but the Disney Endurance Series (the precursor to runDisney) sprang to life in 1994 with a mere 8,200 runners for its inaugural marathon. (And even more astounding, was organized before Disney owned its own sports marketing franchise.) What began as an effort to increase attendance at the Orlando park during the slowest weekend of the year has catapulted into a yearlong calendar of signature events, run at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland, that appeal to both every age and training ability. It is no wonder that The Walt Disney Company is showing considerable pride and care in planning this remarkable birthday party.
The 2013 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend is scheduled from January 10th to January 13th, and will include:
- 26.2 mile Marathon on Sunday
- 13.1 Half Marathon on Saturday
- Family Fun Run 5K (3.1 miles) on Friday
- Kids Races (age appropriate dashes open to children 13 and under) are scheduled for Thursday afternoon and Friday and Saturday mornings.
- Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge- running the Half and full Marathons back-to-back; a whopping 39.3 miles!
- Pasta in the Park Party held on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights
- Health and Fitness Expo held Thursday through Saturday at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex