The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror is a favorite attraction for lots of Walt Disney World guests. It opened on July 22, 1994 on Sunset Boulevard at Walt Disney World’s MGM Studios (now Disney’s Hollywood Studios). I thought I would share some fun facts about the attraction to celebrate its 18 year tenure.
- Hollywood Tower Hotel was inspired by Hollywood Tower built in 1929, and declared a historic landmark by the US Department of the Interior.
- Here’s the attractions background story: A freakish thunderstorm descended on the Hollywood Hills on October 31, 1939. An attractive young couple, a child actress and her stern governess, and an older – overworked bellman entered the elevator. The doors closed. Seconds later the elevator, it’s passengers, and several sections of the upper stories of the hotel disappeared as lightning struck the tower.
- Notice in the loading area outside of the elevator there is an inspection certificate dated October 31, 1939 than was signed by Cadwallader. This is a character from the Twilight Zone’s episode “Escape Clause” who is revealed to be the Devil. Also take note of the certificate number (10259), the first Twilight Episode premiered on October 2, 1959.
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror was struck by lightning during construction.
- The footage of Rod Serling in the library video is taken from the Twilight Zone episode “It’s a Good Life.”
- Imagineers tested 33 different versions of the attraction before finally coming up with one they felt was thrilling enough.
- The exterior of the ride was designed to match the Morocco Pavilion in Epcot. The attraction is visible from one angle and Imagineers wanted it to blend in with the landscape of Morocco.
- Tower of Terror cost $140 million to build and took 1500 tons of steel, 145,800 cubic feet of concrete and 27,000 roof tiles.
- The Bellhop costumes cost $1000 each, making them the most expensive costumes cast members wear.
Hopefully you have learned something new about The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror so you can sound like a “know it all” the next time you are in the queue with your friends.
Have a Magical Day!!