It’s kind of fun to do the impossible. ~ Walt Disney
One thing I have learned from my physical therapy patients over the years (and more recently, my two sons), is that when you put yourself to the test, you more times than not discover inner power through that adversity. For me, that trial came at age 52, and with the request from my teenager that we “run” a 5K at Walt Disney World. I won’t bore you with the tale of my old gymnastics injury and resultant sedentary ways, but I will share that it was running guru Jeff Galloway’s Run-Walk-Run Method that was my pathway to survival, and then success, and eventually, to testing my impossible.
You’re braver than you believe, stronger than you seem… ~Christopher Robin
3.1 morphed into 8.3 and finally 13.1; miles, that is. 22 months into this “test”, I am runDisney Coast to Coast Race Challenge bound. Any runner (or brisk walker) that successfully completes a runDisney half marathon or marathon at both Walt Disney World (Walt Disney World Marathon, Walt Disney World Half Marathon, Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge, Disney’s Princess Half Marathon, or Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon) AND Disneyland (Tinker Bell Half Marathon or Disneyland Half Marathon) in the same calendar year is eligible for the gilded Coast to Coast Race Challenge medal in addition to the particular event medal earned.
This coveted medal features the likeness of the famous “Partners” statue; Disney Legend Blaine Gibson’s sculpture of Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse, standing hand-in-hand. Both the Disneyland Park and Magic Kingdom are graced with this bronze tribute to the man who started it all, and it is fitting that this special medal showcases his image.
The specifics are these:
- You are automatically entered for the Coast to Coast Race Challenge upon entering and finishing two of the required races.
- You must have an official time for each event, and each shall be either a runDisney half marathon or marathon.
- There is no required order for your racing; East to West or vice versa.
- For the second of their qualifying races, the runner will receive a special wristband during Packet Pick-Up at the Disney’s Health & Fitness Expo that will signify to Sports Enthusiast volunteers that you are entitled to have that Coast to Coast Race Challenge medal draped over your neck.
- There is a limit of one of these unique medals per calendar year. (Sorry runDisney junkies!)
Enthusiasm for this challenge is palpable, and for that reason, the two qualifying races on the West Coast seem to reach capacity in record times once registration opens up. If these races are in your future, runners: stay on your mark!
I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things. ~Walt Disney
|Courtesy of runDisney|
And what’s next, you may ask? Well, only the folks at runDisney know for sure, but I did hear Faron Kelley, Director of Marketing for Disney Sports Attractions, tell our Meet Up & Eat Up group at last September’s Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend that runDisney will be reaching globally in the future! For the past year, I’ve been dreaming of a marche through Le Chateau de la Belle au Bois Dormant in Paris, or a sprint through シンデレラの城 (Cinderella Castle). Certainly there are other “Partners” statues in Disney Parks around the world…
Do I feel a runDisney “Continent to Continent” Race Challenge coming on? Where are we running next? That depends on where the medals are!