In just over two weeks I’m going to find myself in a very unusual position…… alone in Walt Disney World (WDW) for the day. Although Shel and I will be together for a week, just a week or so ago I decided to fly in a day early. Southwest makes changing your flights very easy as they don’t charge for any changes, only if the actual cost of the fare has gone up. What precipitated this change you ask? The reason, a loss of a few Disney Vacation Club (DVC) points due to my plan year ending, banking, borrowing and transfer rules. It’s silly really, but in the 20 years that I’ve been an owner of DVC I think I’ve only lost about eight points up to now.
I debated about this for days and the final factor influencing my decision was finding out that I had already asked to have the “extra” vacation day. All the stars aligned as I was able to get my flight changed, and more importantly, book that all important room. I couldn’t believe it when I was actually able to get a one bedroom at Bay Lake Tower (BLT) for the extra day at the beginning of the trip. What I’ve really excited about is the fact that I’ve been told that since I booked this one day on my DVC account and Shel booked the remainder of the trip on hers, that I would actually be able to link the two rooms together and not move. WOW! What a nice surprise that was. I actually only wanted a studio (which wasn’t available), so the linking option cinched the deal! Shel’s a little skeptical that it will actually happen, but I’m anxious to see if it actually works.
Shel and I are really great travel partners overall, but sometimes there are things that we just don’t agree on. So what should I do for the 8-10 hours I will be on my own after arriving at BLT? Here’s a few of the thoughts that have been running through my head (constantly!) since I made the travel change:
- Lay by the pool
- Ride the monorail. Around the resort loop and to/from Epcot. I love the monorail
- Eat a pork shank (Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom – MK)
- Enchanted Tales with Belle (MK) – Waited FOREVER to see this during the Fantasyland preview we attended. Shel didn’t really like it (particularly after the wait), but I’d kind of like to see it again
- Have dinner at Columbia Harbor House (Shel doesn’t like fish so we NEVER step foot in here, but I do and it would be a good opportunity to try it
- Visit the Haunted Mansion again, and again, and again, and again………You get the picture
- Ride the monorail stopping at all of the hotels to walk around, shop, take in the view, etc.
- Get dessert from Narcoosee’s
- Watch Wishes from Narcoosee’s
- Just eat appetizers from Top of the World Lounge at BLT and then watch Wishes
- Actually go to Epcot to eat someplace that Shel wouldn’t normally go and then stay for Illuminations because she normally doesn’t want to stay
- Sleep in!
Well as you can see, my mind has been racing. My first and last ideas may be my favorites, but I’m sure you’ll also note that my mind keeps jumping back to food! I LOVE all of the various food possibilities at WDW which is probably why my thoughts are all over the place. There is just so much to pick from!!
I’m sure I’ll keep coming up with more ideas right up until I step food on property. Please share your thoughts with me. What would you do?
Thanks for reading!
Jo Scholl, grateful Disney Vacation Club (DVC) owner and proud mom to three amazing adult children, one of whom is fellow columnist Shelley Scholl. And a small black dog named Mickey Mouse!