If you have been reading this series, you will know that I have said “you do not need to enjoy rides to love Walt Disney World. As you travel through “The World,” there is so much to keep you entertained.” Well today we travel to Animal Kingdom to explore the world without rides there. And it is a rich with activities to keep you entertained.
As you enter Animal Kingdom, you are met with a trail that goes to the left or the right. Either direction leads you into a lush, tropical area with waterfalls, birds, and animals to see and explore. At the end of the trail, you will encounter a bridge (make sure to stop and take a photo with the Photopass Photographers).
Each area of Animal Kingdom has unique drinks, desserts, and food offerings. There are also street entertainers, drums, visual imagery, and cast members that bring each area to life in ways that can’t be described. As you stroll through Animal Kingdom, you are transported to a different place – the music, sounds, and smells invoke such strong emotions in each unique land.
DISCOVERY ISLAND/TREE OF LIFE:
- Make sure to pick up your Wilderness Explorer Handbook on your scavenger hunt journey. Complete challenges and earn badges, and you can be a Wilderness Explorer too!
- Our last visit at Animal Kingdom, my son, Marcus, and I spent time exploring the outer regions of the Tree of Life. The animals hidden in the carvings are spectacular. How many can you find?
- The movie, It’s Tough to Be A Bug, was actually released before the movie, A Bug’s Life. My son remembers thinking, “What is this all about?” It is a “4-D” movie – the fancy way of saying, there are actual things that will move within the theater to amuse you. You will smell, hear and feel creepy crawlers.
- In the evening, watch the spectacular show, Tree of Life Awakenings. After dark approximately every 10 minutes experience fireflies and wonderful animals brought to life in a projection show sure to amaze you.
- This new, exciting magical land offers wonders that only the most wondrous place on earth could create. Explore Pandora at night to see the world brought to life in a bioluminescent spectacular.
- Play the drums, stroll the streets, and sip unique drinks made just for this land.
- Take a relaxing ride on the Na’vi River Journey
- My sons favorite Animal Kingdom experience resides in Africa. The Festival of the Lion is a lively, energetic, and action packed show featuring the cast from the Lion King. Audience participation is encouraged – sit in the Wart Hog, Giraffe, Lion, or Elephant section. Sing and clap along with the catchy Lion King songs.
- Explore the Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail. This tropical forest features African Wildlife.
- Venture to Rafiki’s Planet Watch on the Wildlife Express Train.
- At Rafiki’s Planet Watch interact with veterinarians, scientists, and animals. Visit the petting zoo while there.
- Flights of Wonder is an exotic bird show housed in a shaded outdoor theater. The birds soar right above your head in a fact-filled show that entertains young and old.
- Maharajah Jungle Trek is a self guided trek through the “jungles of Asia” where you encounter native animals such as tigers, bats and a Kimodo dragon.
- At night, experience The Rivers of Light show. This water, laser, projection show is absolutely stunning. The photos from the show, while giving you a taste of what you will see, are only a snippet of what you experience in this outdoor theater.
- Finding Nemo, The Musical – this stage shows employs the use of giant puppets brought to life by masters of their trade. The music, the actors, and the action-packed show will delight all viewers.
- Fossil fun games are carnival type games – colorful, but reminiscent of a carnival from days gone by.
Join me next month for the final segment featuring spectacular Hollywood Studios. This park is undergoing a major transformation and will be sure to continue to delight Disney travelers for years to come.
Make sure to follow along on my families travels to Walt Disney World on Instagram.